Thursday, November 5, 2015

The Matterhorn [Zermatt, Switzerland]

The Matterhorn

The Matterhorn is a 14,692 foot mountain, making it one of the highest summits in the Alps between Switzerland and Italy.  In the perfect mountain town of Zermatt, Switzerland.
As I quote Adnan, "What a derpy looking mountain." The mountain had a certain charm and was so recognizable.


Remaining still unclimbed after most of the other great Alpine peaks were climbed, the Matterhorn became the subject of an international competition for the summit in the 1800s. The first ascent of the Matterhorn was finally made in 1865 from Zermatt by a party led by Edward Whymper but ended disastrously when four of its members fell to their deaths on the descent. That climb and disaster, portrayed in several films, marked the end of the golden age of alpinism. The north face was not climbed until 1931.  The west face, which is the highest of the four, was completely climbed in 1962. It is estimated that over 500 alpinists have died on the Matterhorn since the first climb in 1865, making it one of the deadliest peaks in the Alps.  It is an iconic emblem of the Swiss Alps.




But instead of trying to climb it, we just chilled on a giant mountain next to it all day. We began a hike in the wrong direction, in snow, in sneakers, and soon turned around.  But we laughed about it and it was a good day of being goofy on a mountain top.

I also spent some time alone on the mountain.  I walked out to the cliff face and prayed on my knees.  I gave thanks and kissed the ground, surrounded by solitude and the wonder of the earth.  How scary it is that I can go a whole day without giving proper thanks to the life-sustaining earth.  Every day. To humble myself enough to give a proper thanks to our mother.


While in Barcelona, I heard the news that beloved Father Shuwey had passed.  He told me stories of the Matterhorn, so I left him the rosary I'd been praying on the mountain so a little piece of him would stay there.  I will miss his smile immensely.


We went to the top to Gornergrat and drank warm coffee and hot chocolate, while watching little Suisse children play in the snow.  We had the most perfect view from a cafe window I've ever seen.


We stayed until sunset and watched the sun disappear behind the horizon and the sky change color.
If you look closely at the above picture, you can see that as the sun was setting, it perfectly illuminated an otherwise invisible Cross sitting upon a cliff face.  A perfect glorification of God.




No comments:

Post a Comment