Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Chateau de Chillon

Chateau De Chillon
From Geneva, we hopped on a train that took us through Lausanne to Montreux.  To one side of the train was a view of Lake Geneva and on the other was hundreds of vineyards with quaint little homes dispersed amongst them on hillsides and in valleys, methodically placed as if to create the most aesthetic view possible. 
The castle was more than beautiful. 



We adventured inside the castle for a few hours. I still don't think I found my way through every hall way and corridor.  The interior of the castle was set up so that the middle felt almost like a town square. It reminded me of the town where Belle (Beauty & the Beast) runs through the town in the morning grabbing a book from the library, mingling with the sheep, and watching townsmen carry out daily tasks.  I realized perhaps it wasn't as glamorous as I thought as I walked into the basement to see a noose and a chamber that which used to hold hostages, which was equally as cool.
I met a couple of my closest friends this day. Annie & Megan. Annie is the mother. She always makes sure everything is running smoothly. She's loud and laughs more than anyone I know.  She has a contagious personality; She's so full of life.  Megan has the best stories about her half American, half European life with her hipster father and extreme backpacking adventures. She's kind and genuine, but always provides entertainment due to having an "always in the wrong place at the wrong time, unfortunate series of event" kind of life happenings. God was smiling upon me the day we became friends. I am so lucky.


Then we took a boat ride back from Montreux to Lausanne. It was a perfect day.  The wind was gentle and warm.  The water was so blue, it looked unreal.  The mountains were distant enough so that you could truly feel small and minute in comparison to their large expanse, but close enough that you could see their snow covered peaks or foliage covered sides with small houses nestled into the sides. It was truly spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment